Cheeseburger Soup tastes exactly how it sounds..like a juicy cheeseburger in soup form! This super simple soup has a rich and creamy Velveeta base and it’s very filling with hearty chunks of meat and potatoes. Add some homemade bread and a pickle on the side and you’ve got a delicious dinner!
Tips and Variations For This Recipe
- Sour cream makes this soup rich and creamy, just be sure to remove the soup from the heat before you add it, or the sour cream could curdle. If you don’t have any sour cream on hand, you could use plain greek yogurt, or even cream cheese would probably work!
- I recommend using russet potatoes because they’re more firm, and won’t turn to mush in the soup. You could use Yukon gold potatoes as well.
- I’m dying to try this recipe with bacon bits in it for more of a bacon cheeseburger effect. Another thing I want to experiment with is adding some little chunks of pickle to the soup or maybe even some pickle juice to really bring out the cheeseburger flavor. I’ll update here if I do that! ☺️
What You Will Need
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 sm. yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. parsley flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, or 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 3 C. chicken broth
- 4 C. potatoes, peeled and diced
- 12oz. Velveeta cheese
- 1½ C. milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ C. sour cream
How To Make Cheeseburger Soup
- In a large stockpot or dutch oven, brown the ground beef over medium heat until cooked through. Drain the grease and return to the pot. Push all of the meat to the outside of the pot, creating a well in the center. Add the onion and cook until it starts to become translucent, or about 5 minutes.
- Add in the basil, parsley, and garlic and stir until combined. Then, add the diced potatoes and chicken broth. Bring that to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium-low heat, melt 3 Tbsp. butter, then whisk in 3 Tbsp. of flour. Whisk this mixture constantly for 3-4 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, add the roux to the soup. Reduce the heat to low and add the cheese, milk, and salt and pepper. Stir occasionally until the cheese is fully melted. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream.
If you love this Cheeseburger Soup, check out these other soup recipes as well!