Grab your Chex cereal, chocolate and peanut butter…we’re making THE BEST Puppy Chow! This no-bake treat is so simple and the perfect snack for when you need something sweet!
Tips and Variations For This Recipe
- Don’t over-mix. You want all of the cereal pieces to be coated, but over-mixing will risk crushing your cereal. Plus the occasional large clump of chocolate peanut butter goodness is delicious!
- Mix the powdered sugar in a gallon size Ziplock bag or in a large bowl with a lid. This allows you to SHAKE! Shaking the chocolate coated cereal to get them coated in powdered sugar is a quick and easy way to get the job done. I’ve also noticed that this helps to not crush the cereal as well, rather than stirring the mixture with a spoon.
- Change it up! I have a wonderful recipe for White Chocolate Puppy Chow that is delightful, if you enjoy white chocolate. I’ve also seen people add in things like M&m’s, sprinkles, mini peanut butter cups..you really can’t go wrong here.
What You Will Need
- ¼ C. butter
- ½ C. peanut butter
- 1 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 8 C. Chex or Crispix cereal
- 1½-2 C. powdered sugar
How To Make The Best Puppy Chow
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the butter, peanut butter, and chocolate chips. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between each one. Repeat until the mixture is completely melted and smooth. Once melted, stir in the vanilla extract.
- While the chocolate is melting, measure out 8 C. of Chex or Crispix cereal into a large mixing bowl. Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the cereal, then gently stir until all of the cereal is coated in chocolate.
- Once the cereal is completely coated, either leave it in the bowl if you have a lid for the bowl, or transfer the cereal to a gallon size Ziploc bag. Add in the powdered sugar, close the bag (or lid) and SHAKE! Shake until all of the cereal pieces are covered in powdered sugar. Pour out onto a cookie sheet to dry. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days, but it probably won’t last that long.
I love making a big bowl of The Best Puppy Chow, setting it in the center of a pretty tray, then surrounding it with these goodies for a Christmas party or to send with my hubby to take to his work!