Scotcheroos are a Midwest favorite! This no-bake cereal treat is packed with peanut butter and topped with a rich chocolate and butterscotch topping!
- 1 C. light corn syrup
- 1 C. granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 C. creamy peanut butter
- 5 C. Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 C. butterscotch chips
- 1 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pour 5 cups of Rice Krispies cereal into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, stir together the corn syrup and sugar. Microwave in 30-second intervals until the sugar is fully dissolved, stirring each time. It will take 3-4 minutes total. You can also do this in a saucepan on the stove, just be sure to not bring the mixture to a boil.
- Immediately stir in the vanilla extract and peanut butter until fully incorporated. Pour the peanut butter mixture over the prepared Rice Krispies and gently stir until all the cereal is well coated. You will want to move quickly as the sugar mixture will harden fast.
- Press the mixture into a well greased 9″x13″ pan and use a spatula to spread evenly throughout the pan.
- Combine 1 C. of butterscotch chips and 1 C. of semi-sweet chocolate chips in a small microwave safe bowl, and microwave in 30-second increments until melted and smooth. Spread the melted chocolate mixture evenly on top of the bars. Let scotcheroos set for a couple hours for the chocolate to harden, then cut and serve.
If you love these Scotcheroos you will love my recipe for Rice Krispie Treats!