With the cold weather, what better to look forward to at the end of a long day than a warm bowl of The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup? It’s thick, creamy, and filled with tender broccoli pieces, shredded carrots, and rich cheddar cheese. This copycat recipe is even better than Panera!
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ½ an onion, chopped
- ¼ C. butter
- ¼ C. flour
- 2 C. half and half
- 2 C. chicken broth
- ½ lb. broccoli-fresh or frozen, finely chopped (approx. 2 C.)
- 1 C. shredded carrots
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, melt 1 tablespoon of butter and sauté the chopped onion for 3-4 minutes or until it becomes slightly translucent. Remove the onion from the pot and set aside. In the same pot, melt half a stick of butter and whisk in ¼ C. of flour. Whisk the butter and flour mixture continually for about 2 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Lower the heat to low and slowly whisk in the half and half and the chicken broth. Let that simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. This step is what makes the soup so thick and creamy!
- Add in the onions, broccoli, and carrots. Simmer everything together for about 25 minutes or until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese until melted and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve Broccoli Cheese soup immediately!