There’s not much better on a Saturday morning than the BEST buttermilk biscuits! Top them with honey, jam, or my favorite, homemade sausage gravy!
- 2 C. all purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 4 Tbsp. soft butter
- 3 Tbsp. shortening
- 1 C. buttermilk-if you don’t have buttermilk, add 1 Tbsp. vinegar to 1 C. milk and let sit for 10 minutes
- Preheat oven to 450℉.
- With a pastry cutter or fork, combine all ingredients except buttermilk. The consistency will be crumbly, like sand.
- Slowly add in buttermilk ⅓ C. at a time until it’s your desired consistency. Stir with a pastry cutter or fork. I usually end up using slightly less than the full cup of buttermilk, but it changes every time I make them. You want it to not be too wet or too dry.
- On a lightly floured surface, pat the dough out flat with your hands to ½ inch thickness (the secret to the best biscuits is not rolling them out too thin, which is why I pat out the dough with my hands rather than using a rolling pin) Cut with a biscuit cutter (you could also use a glass or a jar ring).
- Place biscuits on an un-greased cookie sheet at least 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Yields 8-2½ inch biscuits.
Here’s a link to my favorite biscuit cutters!